Our cable sizing application lets you manage and size your cables in a table based format. The application runs as a separate module within our site and to launch the app you select 'Cable Engineering' from the main menu.
The application has three main sections:
- Dashboard - an overview of your status and upgrade/feature announcements
- Projects - where you can create and edit your projects
- Cables - where you can create and edit cables for each of your projects
Note: cables are associated with projects. To create or edit cables, you need at least one project, this project needs to be selected on the 'Cables' page.
To navigate around the application, you can use the following buttons and links:
Main Toolbar Buttons
||app menu - allows navigation between main sections of the application
||action menu - allows proejct or cable specific actions when on these pages
Project or Cable Grid Buttons
||record menu - allows actions specific to the highlighted project or cable (activated as you hover over a row)
Adding a Project
You can add a project from the action menu on the projects page. In adding a project you can:
- defined and edit descriptive fields
- add manage contributors (allow team members to work on your projects)
- setup custom logos for cable reports
To edit an existing project you can use the record menu.
For each project you set up, a cable schedule is created. You then add your cables to the cable schedule.
For more information on adding, editing and using projects see: Project Management
Adding a Cable
You can add a cable from the action menu on the cables page. You need to ensure you have a project selected. If you navigate to the cables page from the app menu, you can select a project to work on from the action menu (last worked on project will be automatically loaded). If navigated using the record menu for a particular project, then that project will be loaded.
In adding a cable, you will generally need to configure the following:
- system, load and cable details (voltage, load current cable type, etc.)
- input a rating for the cable or calculate current capacity according to various standards
- calculate voltage drop to user-defined limits
- calculate fault rating at both source and load end
Once your cables are added to the schedule, you can then verify the sizing and operation of the cable (current capacity, voltage drop and fault rating for example). Once your cable schedule is complete, you can download this and associated calculations as pdf files. Reports - are available on the projects and cable pages. See for more details.
For more information on adding, editing and using cables see: Cable Schedule
Quick Cable Tips
- Input Form Option - some options only become available if previous steps are complete, for example, the current capacity dialogue will not be available until you have configured the cable.
- Cable Voltage - changing the voltage on the cable configuration dialogue changes the selection of cables available. Cable selection is filtered according to the required voltage.
- Recommended Size - the information box on the current capacity dialogue shows the recommended size for the selected standard and installation. You can use this recommendation, or choose larger/smaller cable to suit your needs.
Further Help and Support
There is additional and detailed help in our knowledge base, which you can browse by topic or search for keywords. We also have video tutorials which you can view on our YouTube channel.
If you do run into any issues, please ensure that your browser is supported, see Supported Browsers and that you do not have any issues with your browser cache Support Tip - Browser Cache. You can also open a support ticket at any time to get help on any issues you may be having.